Saturday, May 22, 2010

Chris Hillman, John Meeks, Pappy and Harriets



What a busy couple days. Thursday night I went to the Grammy Museum to see Chris Hillman. I highly suggest seeing anyone at the Grammy Museum, they have great sound and there is not a bad seat in the house. The easiest way to describe the event is it was like "In the Actors Studio" with songs. The Museum curator interviewed Chris, then he did a Q&A, followed by a few songs. He talked mostly about his early bluegrass days, mentioning a band he was in with the Gosdin Brothers called The Golden State Boys who use to play in Long Beach! Highlight for me was the music, he played a new song off his upcoming record on Rounder that sounded great. Looking forward to hearing the record.

After Chris played I booked it down to The Prospector to catch John Meeks. I really enjoyed his set, and look forward to seeing him again in the future. They had a very good Violin / Lap Steel player who I'm pretty sure also plays with The Album Leaf and The Black Heart Procession. I got a copy of his new CD which features Jimmy Lavelle from The Album Leaf, and Paul Jenkins from Three Mile Pilot / The Black Heart Procession. Parts remind me of Calexico, but it has its own vibe.

Last night I decided to go out to Pappy and Harriets in Pioneertown, and ran into friends celebrating a birthday! Ended up staying out there for the night, woke up to a beautiful desert morning, a cup of coffee, and a mix featuring Jessica Lee Mayfield, The Avett Brothers, AA Bondy and more.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting that. I was going to ask you about your adventures. Now we can get right down to it- Monopoly Monday!!

    ReplyDelete