Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Happy Anniversary to Poco's "Pickin' Up The Pieces"


Today, May 19, 41 years ago Poco released "Pickin' Up The Pieces". While I will admit that I have not heard every Poco record, but from the 10 or so records I have heard of theirs, this one is my favorite. I purchased it at a used record store in Philadelphia back in February of 2009. Just a few months later I saw them at Stagecoach, which was quite a rare show because original members, Richie Furay and Jim Messina, played in the reunited Poco. Some fun facts about this album are:

1) It was the first debut album every to get a perfect score in Rolling Stone magazine.

2)Every song was written or co-written by Richie Furay.

3)These songs were formed out of the breaking up of Buffalo Springfield, which both Richie Furay and Jim Messina were members of.

3b)Buffalo Springfield performed their last show at the Long Beach Arena as a farewell to their hometown.

4)Steel Guitar Player, Rusty Young, was born in Long Beach.

5)Bass Player, Randy Meiser, left the band before the album was released, and they replaced his image on the album cover with a dog, don't worry Randy turned out ok, he ended up forming another band that did quite well called The Eagles.

This album feels good and puts a smile on my face. I'm gonna go home and listen to it, around nine, come over if you want to join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment